This Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream will be your new go to recipe of the season!
Featuring beautifully roasted strawberries this inexpensive and easy to make ice cream is sugar free and keto friendly using simple ingredients.
Be sure all ingredients are cold before going into the ice cream machine.
- 1 lb strawberries - sliced
- ¼ cup xylitol
- 2 cups of half and half
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Roasted strawberries:
- Mix sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons of xylitol and pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully scrape the roasted berries into a bowl to cool.
- Store roasted strawberries in a bowl in the fridge until ready to use.
- Ice cream:
- In a medium sized pan heat half & half, cream, remaining xylitol and vanilla.
- Stir until warm and xylitol is completely dissolved.
- Chill in fridge until cold.
- Using the specific ice cream maker churn the ice cream for 12 -15 minutes before adding the roasted strawberries.
- Churn until desired texture is achieved.
- Serve immediately or freeze until needed.
Clean up of the roasted berries is easier if you use a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Roasting the strawberries brings out the natural sugars and allows me to add less sweetener. Roast the strawberries at 375 degrees 40-50 minutes.
I use xylitol in this recipe as my sweetener because it is the sugar replacement I always have on hand. I love how it works in every recipe I use it in and has no after taste.
You can use sugar or any other sweetener you prefer in this recipe.
Note: It will be quite hard if you allow the ice cream to freeze fully. Give time for the ice cream to soften up before using if you are planning on storing it. Fresh ice cream can be stored for up to 2 weeks.