Enjoy flavours of summer any season with this easy to make beautiful blueberry bread.
As we are going through what has to be our 5th major storm of the winter I am thinking back to the sunny days of summer.
I have watched a snowdrift creep up the fence throughout the day, spring can not arrive early enough.
And somewhere out there buried under the snow are 4 blueberry bushes, hibernating under their thick white blanket.
This past summer I was fortunate enough to harvest enough berries to make a few loaves of blueberry bread.
Nothing fancy, a simple berry filled quick bread to feature the best of the season!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1-1/2 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9 x 5" loaf pan.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat margarine or butter and 1 cup sugar just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Reduce speed to low; add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until well blended, occasionally scrapping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Alternately, add flour mixture and milk, mixing until just blended.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hr and 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center, comes out clean.
- Cool loaf in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan. Cool the bread on wire rack.