This Ginger Beef is exactly what you expect when you want to enjoy the classic dish you have come to love. Sweet, crispy, saucy, it is sure to become a family favourite.
I have always enjoyed Ginger Beef and wanted to create the dish at home.
There are all sorts of sauces you can buy at the store, but from experience, skip the jarred sauce and make the dish from scratch.
The ingredient list is short, and it is quick to come together.
Fresh Garlic and Ginger
Fresh garlic and ginger bring the dish to life with incredible flavour. You will find fresh ginger in the produce section of the grocery store. Peal the pieces and use the fine side of grater to grate the ginger.
Cuts of Beef
You can use most cuts of beef for this dish. When slicing any type of beef, slice against the grain for optimal tenderness.
Dredging the Beef
Dredging the beef in cornstarch is what makes the strips crispy. Do not substitute flour for cornstarch. I like to put the cornstarch in a large bowl and do a small handful of strips at a time. Shake any excess cornstarch off and fry the beef in hot oil until crispy.
- thinly sliced beef
- 1¼ cup of cornstarch
- 1 yellow onion- chopped
- 2 cups of carrots- shredded
- 5 cloves of garlic - minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger - grated
- 1 tablespoon of dried red chili flakes
- ½ cup of soya sauce
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 4 green onions- chopped
- oil for frying
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil over medium low heat in a deep-frying pan.
- Sauté the onion until it is lightly translucent.
- Add the carrots and cook 4 -5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chili flakes to the pan, mix well to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, soya sauce and vinegar.
- Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, in another frying pan heat a few inches of oil.
- Lightly dredge the strips of beef in cornstarch.
- Once the oil hits 350 degrees start frying the cornstarch coated beef strips until crispy.
- Cook in batches to avoid over crowding the pan.
- Place the crispy beef into the reduced sauce and stir to coat.
- Top with chopped green onion.
- Serve with rice or vermicelli.
The longer you allow the sauce to reduce the stickier it becomes.
Top with chopped green onion and enjoy with rice or vermicelli noodles.