This cannabis infused honey is easy to make with a few simple ingredients and tools everyone has in the kitchen.
Health Benefits of Honey
Honey contains antioxidants and also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Research has shown that the topical application of honey on minor wounds may speed healing.
Studies have shown that honey may be a good option in the treatment of acid reflux and the inflammation that is caused.
It is a more natural way to sweeten our foods and it is supporting local businesses when you choose local honey. The flavour is determined by where the honey is produced and the flowering crops that are in the area. It can be sold as raw or pasteurized.
Raw honey is removed from the hive and bottled. It may contain small amounts of wax and pollen. There is the belief that consuming locally produced raw honey many be beneficial for seasonal allergies with the repeated consumption of pollen from plants in your area.
Honey that is pasteurized has been heated and impurities have been removed.
Combine the benefits of a cannabis infused honey into a Phytol rich cup of green tea for a spectacular drink that has a powerhouse of natural benefits.
To make this infused honey you will need to use cannabis that has been decarboxylated.
What Is Decarboxylated Cannabis?
Cannabis flower in its dried state needs to be heated to active the THC and CBD cannabinoids. This is important when using cannabis for infusions or any edible product you are creating. Decarboxylation must happen before our bodies can absorb those cannabinoids through digestion.
How To Decarboxylate Cannabis
It is easy to decarb cannabis flower but do be aware most methods do create a pungent cannabis aroma!
Preheat your oven to 240F. Lightly grind the cannabis up and spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet and pop into the oven. Bake the cannabis for 30- 40 minutes.
Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
Now your cannabis has been heat activated and it ready to be infused into honey, butter, olive oil or any carrier oil you prefer.
For this recipe we used a piece of cheesecloth to bundle the cannabis. This makes the job much cleaner and quicker. Straining plant material out of the honey is a time-consuming sticky job.
Place the cannabis in the center of a piece of cheesecloth, create a bundle and tie closed with thread or string.
Cannabis Infused Honey
- 7 grams of decarboxylated cannabis - bundled in cheese cloth
- 1 cup of liquid honey
- To infuse this honey we are using a double boiler.
- Simply use a bowl slightly larger than a small pot.
- Fill the pot a ⅓ full of water and place over low/medium low heat.
- Combine the bundled cannabis and the honey in a bowl.
- Place over the pot of lightly simmering water.
- Do not boil the water, we want to keep the temperature low as to not burn the honey.
- Simmer and stir occasionally for 1 hour.
- After the hour is up, remove from heat and remove the bundle.
- Using tongs squeeze the bundle to remove as much honey as possible.
- Pour the infused honey into a jar.
- You can store your honey in the cupboard, it is best if not left on the counter.
- Dark storage is prefered.
Feel free to use the honey coated cannabis from the bundle in a recipe.
You can use the honey in salad dressing, drizzled on cheese or in your favourite cup of tea or recipe.
Any recipe that is infused with THC dominant cannabis will create some psychoactive effects, how it will affect each individual depends on experience and tolerance levels.
It is recommended that honey of any sort not be given to children under the age of 1 due to the possibility of botulism