This Lentil Chili is inexpensive and easy to make with easy to find healthy ingredients.
Using Lentils in Chili
Looking for ways to keep it healthy I have been using whole grains and legumes. This recipe is a fantastic meatless chili loaded with beans, lentils, vegetables and flavor!
I was one of the lucky winners a while back on Twitter during a Twitter party with Canadian Lentils. I won a fabulous gift package I have been waiting for the perfect recipe to use some of the great lentils they sent me!
- 1 yellow onion - chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 4 stalks of celery - chopped
- 1 large red pepper - chopped
- 1 can of navy beans 540 ml - drained and rinsed
- 1 can of romano beans 540 ml - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of red or brown lentils - rinsed
- 2 cans of diced stewed tomatoes with garlic and olive oil 769 ml
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of V8 - 340 ml
- 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon in chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of celery seed
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of chipotle chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red chili pepper flakes
- In a large pot heat 3 tablespoons of oil, I like to use Canola oil.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are lightly browned.
- Add the red pepper and allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Now you can add the lentils, corn and beans.
- Give everything I good stir.
- Add all the spices and give it another good stir to combine everything.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the water and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and V8.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Allow to bubble away for 15 minutes, stirring often so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
It makes a nice sized pot so you will definitely have leftovers if you are not feeding a crowd. It has just the right amount of heat, it is not too spicy, and the flavor is amazing! Each serving has a whopping 14 grams of fiber! .
This recipe freezes well and is great for those nights you work late.