This savoury bread is a must make every summer. Full of beautiful onions and zucchini topped with spectacular Parmigiano Reggano. Perfection.
I have been playing with zucchini in the kitchen for as long as I have been gardening, about 20 years now. It is one of those garden staples that I always grow. They have been battered, fried, sauted, shredded and even pickled, which is amazing by the way!
- 3 cups of flour
- ¾cup onion chopped
- ½ grated parmesan cheese - divided
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a frying pan saute the onions in the butter and1 tablespoon of oil until lightly browned and opaque.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, 6 tbsp. of the parmesan cheese, baking powder, salt & baking soda.
- Add cooled onions.
- In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs and zucchini.
- Stir into the flour mixture just until blended.
- Spoon into a greased 9 inch round cake pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into wedges.
Want to enjoy this in the middle of winter? Just shred and freeze the zucchini to use all winter long. It freezes well, just shred and bag or freeze in containers meant for long time freezer storage.