This Dill Pickle Roast is sure to become family favourite.
I first heard about Dill Pickle Roasts from my friend Sherry and it sounded like something we would enjoy. After trying it we agreed, it was amazing and was a reminder of Rouladen, a dish I make often.
Rouladen is it a traditional German dish made with thin cut beef, with a layer of bacon all wrapped around dill pickles then browned in a pan then simmered in the oven.
Because I live about 60kms to any grocery store I will make due with what I have on hand. If I am low on bacon I will place it in the roaster under the pickles, other times I will wrap the roast. Both ways turn out beautifully.
- Outside or Inside Round Beef roast
- 1 - 1 liter jar of Dill Pickles
- 1 package of bacon
- beef broth
- Season the beef with pepper and garlic.
- Cover the roast with strips of bacon or layer the bacon in the roaster.
- Pour a 1-liter jar of dill pickles over and around the roast.
- If more liquid is needed add some beef broth
- Roast at 350F until cooked to your preferred doneness medium is 134F - !40F
The jus in the roasting pan will have a strong pickle flavour, if you are looking for a more traditional beef gravy you will have to make one on the side.
The pickles will be tender and full of flavour, be sure to serve them alongside the roast. I use homemade pickles which often include carrots. I include those as well as the garlic and dill from the pickles.
Perfect served with mashed potatoes!