Perishke is an easy to make traditional Ukrainian dish of fresh filled buns cooked in cream.
Traditional Ukrainian Recipes
Perishke is still one of my most enjoyed Ukrainian dishes I prepare. Perhaps because they do bring back such strong memories of when I was a child and first discovered them. They were the catalyst of what made me want to learn how to cook.
It has been a roller coaster of a summer. I am nearing the end of a 500km move and am looking forward to having a kitchen once again. All my measuring utensils and baking tools are packed away but, in a need, to get this post up I am winging it.
Besides. who needs a rolling pin when you have wine!
They are easy to make and freeze well so you can always have some at the ready.
- ½ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 packages of yeast
- Combine the above and add to:
- 1½ cups of milk, lightly warmed
- ½ cup of oil
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 eggs - beaten
- 5 - 6 cups of flour
- Combine the dough and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Dry curd cottage cheese - 4 cups
- 2 egg yolks
- fresh dill
- a generous pinch of salt
- Stir the filling ingredients well to combine.
- whipping cream to finish
- 3 tablespoons of butter - melted
- Pinch off a walnut sized piece of dough and using a rolling pin roll out a nice small 1½ inch circle. Fill with a tablespoon of filling.
- Bring the edges together and pinch to seal creating a tiny bun.
- Place into a lightly buttered pan, sealed edge down.
- Have the oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Once the pan is full of Perishke bake immediately until golden brown, about 23 - 25 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter and cool.
- The idea is too work quickly as you do not want the buns to rise.
- Repeat until all your dough is used.
- Once the Perishke are baked they can be frozen or eaten.
- I like to remove them from the container to cool then, this prevents the bottoms from becoming soggy.
- I place them back into the tins to freeze.
- To finish the Perishky toss with whipping cream and fresh chopped dill and heat in the oven for 15 minutes.