These easay to make and inexpensive Bran and Cranberry Buttermilk Muffins take a traditional recipe and adds beautiful dried cranberries.
Warmed just to the touch with a pat of butter, really there is nothing better. The sweet nuttiness is perfect along side a cup of tea or a fresh berry smoothie for a quick breakfast.
If you do not have buttermilk on hand you can make your own with millk and either vinegar or lemon juice. Take a 1 cup measuring cup and add a generous 1 tablespoon measure of vinegar or the lemon juice. Top the cup off with milk, stir gently and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Use in place of the buttermilk.
Note: I always use liners when I make muffins or cupcakes. Every time I have ever baked without them I have issues with getting them out of the tins.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- 3 cups wheat bran
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin cup pans with paper muffin liners.
- Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Beat together oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended.
- Fold in cranberries and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.